Wedding photography is an essential aspect of capturing memories from one of the most important days in a couple's life. As technology advances, artificial intelligence (AI) has found its way into various fields, including photography. AI can be incredibly beneficial in enhancing editing processes, generating creative ideas, and streamlining the overall workflow. However, there are also potential pitfalls and scams lurking in the shadows.
Can you tell which photo was generated by AI?
Protect Yourself from AI-generated Image Scams
Unfortunately, there are many cases where couples have been scammed by faux wedding photographers. One example is a couple who were scammed by a photographer who used stock images as his portfolio and delivered blurry photos of their big day. This is just one of many instances where couples have fallen victim to such scams. To avoid these situations, follow these tips when selecting your wedding photographer:
- Verify the authenticity of portfolio images: Don't rely solely on a photographer's online portfolio or Instagram feed. Conduct a reverse image search to ensure the images haven't been taken from other sources. Additionally, check if the photographer is listed on reputable platforms such as The Knot or Wedding Wire.
- Read reviews: Reviews from past clients can provide valuable insights into a photographer's professionalism, quality of work, and reliability. Look for reviews on trustworthy platforms such as Google, the Knot, and Wedding Wire.
- Request full wedding galleries: Scammers may have a few AI-generated images to show off, but they are unlikely to have complete wedding galleries. Ask to see a full wedding gallery to get a better understanding of the photographer's style and consistency.
- Meet with the photographer: Schedule an in-person or virtual meeting with the photographer before making a decision. This provides an opportunity to ask questions, gauge their personality, and ensure they are the right fit for your wedding.
- Be cautious of low rates: If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is. While professional photographers might not come cheap, investing in a skilled and reputable photographer is a worthwhile expense for capturing your special day.
As a wedding photographer, AI has been amazingly useful, but it's crucial to be vigilant in your research to ensure you're hiring a true professional and avoiding potential scams. Oh and the lefthand picture was taken by me, the one on the right was generated by AI. Crazy, right?